Re: [compost_tea] newbie intro and question

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:11:03 EDT

When we do fungal analysis, we can't differentiate decomposer fungal hyphae
from mycorrhizal fungal hyphae. So, total fungal and active fungal biomass
includes mycorrhizal fungi.

But we do percent mycorrhizal colonization of roots, and there we can
differentiate mycorrhizal fungi.

When we teach the small microscope course, we do tea mostly, but can add
compost. Don't usually do soil, since that's a lot more patience than one day.

All the labs can do the qualitative testing, as well, so for just a few
dollars, for example, $50 NZ or OZ, or $45 US, the lab can do the qualitative test
on any material.

and yes, the DIC- epi-fluorescent microscopes are expensive.

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institue Cambridge, New Zealand
Soil Foodweb Inc., Hilversum, The Netherlands
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho