Re: [compost_tea] colloidal clay and rock phosphate

From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <lfl_at_intrex.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:08:38 -0700

Jeff Lowenfels wrote:
> I know that rock phosphates are good for fungal growth. My question is
> whether to use the granular rock phosphate or the powdered stuff which
> is mixed in with colloidal clay? Anyone had any experience here?

1) Tennessee rock phosphate - slightly granular - best - is available (Blount Feeds, Bethel, NC - Bill Blount) - P released
    quicker than Idaho rock phosphate and Florida RP

2) Idaho black rock phosphate - granular, OK - can be had in pelletized form with adidifier for more rapid breakdown - small quantities
    available by mail order

3) Florida rock phosphate & Florida soft phosphate with colloidal clay - both are very fine powder but still takes longer than
    any other naturally-occuring phosphate to break down and release P - readily available by mail order

4) Carolina Black Rock Phosphate - not available - granular - is the very best of all, more P and released quicker

You might be interested in the archives on composting and compost tea I am putting together in the Agriculture Wiki:
AgWiki - Agriculture Wiki
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/agwiki/index.php/HomePage

COMPOST, COMPOST TEA and SOILFOODWEB
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/agwiki/index.php/COMPOST%2C%20COMPOST%20TEA%20and%20SOILFOODWEB

sanet-mg list discussion on compost, compost tea and the soil food web by
Elaine Ingham, Gil Carandang and Steve Diver:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/agriculture/composting/compost+soilfoodweb+links+info2/index.html

LL
--
L.F.London