[compost_tea] Re: sugar locking up N

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:26:54 -0700
> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:24:21 -0000
> From: "Titel Ryzhomer" <thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com>
> Subject: sugar locking up N
>
> Hi All,
>
> I recently may have over-applied tea which wasn't suitable. The
> result was some yellowing of some young plants in transplant pots.
> They recovered when I stopped watering them with tea and gave them
> some diluted fish hydrolisate. ... snip <

Your tea recipe sounds good, but lots of plants yellow when they've simply
had too much water.  And why did they need so much food?

Just curious.  Your friend might be right and Doc E has pointed out that 1%
molasses can be a problem, even though that doesn't seem like a lot.  Did
the tea have any molasses smell when you used it?

Molasses in tea can cause anaerobes and facultative nasties to rise - both
human and plant, I believe - but that should be detectable to a wise nose at
some point.  Molasses can boost fungi at 5% with massive air, as I recall.
Not with every tea machine.

Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here