[compost_tea] Re:pretty close to compost tea!

From: tomjasz <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:14:21 -0000

Douglas,

In the past isolates or enzymes have been discovered and the process
of producing were patented NOT life. This is how research can
sometimes funded.

As we prove effectiveness and others continue to research production
methods, we can likely expect more patents.

Cornell pattented T-22. Sevral manufacturers produce and sell the
product.

"A new soilborne disease control product has hit the market recently,
and at least one major grower is calling it phenomenal. Bioworks'
RootShield biological fungicide uses a hybrid strain of fungus called
T-22 to prevent root diseases. According to Dave Pieczarka, Bioworks'
director of sales and marketing, RootShield' s history started 22
years ago when a Cornell University researcher began identifying
naturally occurring fungi that protect plant root systems from
diseases. He found hundreds of such fungi in soils around the world
and began a breeding program to develop vigorous hybrids. The result
is Strain T-22, which is 100 times more effective at protecting
plants from disease than is the naturally occurring strain. Cornell
patented it, and Bioworks produced it.

No offense to the old biologicals, but frankly, they were just never
up to the job. RootShield from BioWorks leads the new generation.
Just a single application of this root-protectant fungicide per
season produces healthier roots. Which means greener greens. Bigger
blooms. With no dangerous chemicals. EPA-registered RootShield drives
labor costs down while your crops shoot up. Call l-800-877-9443 for
your nearest RootShield distributor. You'll get powerful results
safely.
"

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Douglas G. Larson" <ddhle@e...>
wrote:
> The patenting of life is worse than nonsensical. It is ludicrous,
absurd
> and abhorrant. It doesn't benefit anyone except the patent holders.

> Douglas Larson,
> Bothell, Washington

species.

> I find it a pretty low that US tax-payer funded researchers that the
> people of the USA pay to do research can patent what we are paying
them
> to work on.

> And what are they patenting?  A mix of 18 species of bacteria?  Did
they
> actually invent these bacteria?  If I have that combination of 18
> bacteria in my back-yard, do I have to now pay these people for the
> privledge of having "their bacterial mix" in my property?

> And where did they get the mix of microbes from in the first
place?

> And if they are actually working for you and I as tax-payers, why
aren't
> we, the people of the US, given the payments generated from the
patents?

> Am I just missing something here, or is this whole patenting life
thing
> just beyond nonsensical?

> Elaine R. Ingham
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
> Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
> Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Oosterbeck, The Netherlands
> Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
> Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291qqhel/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
6/

D=groups/S=1707418612:HM/EXP=1097047752/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*h
tt