[compost_tea] Fwd: Workshop Oct. 31, Eliminating barriers to use and marketing of Biobased ...

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:11:50 EDT

Pat Milner is better known for her research on compost. The abstract on
compost tea Tom J copied to the list was a one-time only trial with compost tea on
her part. Most of us take a few practice runs to figure out how to make
decent tea. But not Pat.....

Below is an invitation that I just received for a meeting in Seattle,
co-hosted by the USDA, the US Composting Council and the Tri-Socieiteis (Agronomy,
Soil Science, and, hum, don't remember the third society).

I looked at this program several months ago, and realized that
I've heard most of these folks give these same presentations several times.
There is nothing on the microbiology of composting, no recognition that
compost has life in it. Oh, other than pathogenic life, of course.

Sigh. These folks will catch on someday. But until then, we have to keep
working to show that REAL compost works extremely well, and the REASON compost
and compost tea work so well is because of the LIFE in them, and the life they
can add back into soil that has been destroyed.

Compost is all about life, not inorganic chemicals. The set of inorganic
nutrients in compost is INSIGNIFICANT. Most of the nutrients are tied up in the
organisms. Along with researchers in Australia, we are showing that the
inorganic nutrients in compost count for extremely little. The only way to make
most of the nutrients in compost available to plants is to have the appropriate
set of organisms present which perform nutrient cycling processes.

Use of plate count methods are nonsensical for assessing these organisms or
their interactions.

As people involved in the old paradigm of toxic agriculture begin to
recognize that a strictly chemical basis for understanding compost is useless, perhaps
there will be a reason for me to attend something that the US Composting
Council or the Tri-Societies put on.

On the other hand, if people are going to this meeting, it would be good to
learn if there has been any break through in the ranks. Could you please
report back to the compot tea list serve if you go, or if you know someone going.

Do I have a bad attitude about these folks? Hum, probably, but it has been
brought about by these people saying I have no data about what I am doing.
What, somewhere around 75 peer-reviewed scientific papers don't count? Several
books? Lots of examples in the real-world that what we are doing works?

At this point, I think it is the "scientists" that need to get their acts
together and start to meet the challenge of explaining how it is we can be so
successful. Their only "defense" is that we haven't published replicated
scientific studies.

At a certain point, with example, after example, after example of making the
biological approach work in real world conditions, that tired old saw just
can't divide the table in two anymore.

You and your colleagues are invited to participate in eliminating barriers to
appropriate use of recycled organic residuals to improve and sustain soil
quality and nutrient management.

Attached is information about an important upcoming workshop that will
address issues that currently impede the marketing and use of organic residuals.
There are certain state fertilizer regulations that in some instances are
barriers to the marketing and use of recycled organic products. Please join us in
resolving issues around these barriers and increasing opportunities for use of
recycled organics that can improve soil quality. We would appreciate it if
you would share this announcement with your colleagues and others whom you know
that would be interested in this matter. The meeting is open to all and there
will be opportunities for on-site registration.

Regards,
Pat Millner

Patricia D. Millner, Ph.D.
Research Microbiologist
Sustainable Agricultural Systems Laboratory and
  Environmental Microbial Safety Laboratory
USDA-ARS-BARC
10300 Baltimore Ave., Bldg. 001, Rm 140
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350

tel: 301-504-7199
fax: 301-504-8370
millnerp_at_ba.ars.usda.gov

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa

attached mail follows: