Re: [compost_tea] Soil organisms

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:54:24 -0400
Hi Clay -

I think most microbiologists would agree that the number of species of bacteria and fungi were very much under-estimated in the 1991 paper.

Based on DNA anaylsis, the latest estimates of the number of species of bacteria will be at a minimum in the millions.  Every time you turn around, someone has discovered a whole new KINGDOM of bacteria.

Probably not quite as many fungal species, but when you look at the number of plant species, they are insignificant as compared to species of microbes.

The final frontier is beneath our feet......

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor