[compost_tea] Re: fungal

From: Titel Ryzhomer <thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:18:26 -0000

Jeff,

Thank you again for your input. We are at a disadvantage being in
such a remote area that getting tea tested would be a major
undertaking. We do hope to get a microscope sometime. There could
well be bacteria and fungi present and working in our "soup to nuts
recipe" tea. We do use high levels of molasses and get temperatures
up to 88 degrees which led me to conclude that the fungi numbers
would be quite low.

I have just glanced at our most recent test spray and it looks like
the powdery mildew may be collapsing but it is inconclusive at
present. I'll check again tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Titel

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Jeff Lowenfels <jeff@g...> wrote:
> Wait a minute on the fungal commments....big not getting through
> containment and the way to get fungal is....?
>
> First, sure you can get "big" fungi out of your tea and through
> containment....the KIS machine and the Bob O' Lators both do a
great
> job based on my personal experience. I am quite sure the EPM and
others
> do as well.
>
> Second, you need to define containment. Landscape cloth surely
won't
> contain fungi.
>
> Next the way to get better fungal numbers in tea is not a
mysterious
> one:  Start with a compost with good fungal numbers. Activate the
> compost a week or so before making tea and don't feed the bacteria
at
> all.  I saw a nutrient mix mentioned here (Titel's) that was a
classic
> soup to nuts: It had a bit of food for everything.
>
> And finally, you need some fungi in foliar teas.  If you are going
> out compete powdery mildew on the leaf surface, it would seem
logical
> to have fungi that compete for the space and food.  Sounds like
Titel
> does, assuming all other variables are the same....a good
controlled
> experiment is what is needed so the only variable is the tea.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff
>

> Plant a Row in your garden to feed the hungry. Join Plant A Row
for the
> Hungry. Ask me how. www.gwaa.org/Par/index.html

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here