Re: [compost_tea] Re: fungal

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:36:53 -0700
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:58:22 -0800, Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com> wrote:

> Wait a minute on the fungal commments....big not getting through
> containment and the way to get fungal is....?
>
> First, sure you can get "big" fungi out of your tea and through
> containment....the KIS machine and the Bob O' Lators both do a great
> job based on my personal experience. I am quite sure the EPM and others
> do as well.

As I have stated before, it seems extremely obvious to me that a
properly designed containment system should get you significantly
better large criter population than you could ever get with an open
system that is poured through a strainer into your spray system if the
mesh on the containment system and the strainer are the same size.

Aside from the probable extraction advantages, you are giving the
fungi 12 hours of turbulent conditions to get through that screen.

On the other hand, the open system with is single straining will only
give them one chance for only a few seconds. And to make matters
worse, as the strained material builds up, it effectively reduces the
mesh size and becomes more of a filter than a strainer.

Now, if you are planning on decanting, you can expect that "big"
anything will either end up floating or sinking unless they actively
swim

> Plant a Row in your garden to feed the hungry. Join Plant A Row for the
> Hungry. Ask me how. www.gwaa.org/Par/index.html

I sent a message to the local food bank and kitchens asking what sort
of produce they would prefer that I plant for them (but they don't get
any of my chiles). This really is a great idea Jeff.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links