Re: [compost_tea] Re: detrimentals not beneficials

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:29:33 -0700
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:47:13 -0700 (PDT), butch ragland
<wilddog_202_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> interesting
>
> my first inquiry was related to a mulched area in my
> landscape where i do not want any plants

That is kinda funny because one thing I was going to suggest was to go
with heavy mulch if you want to control weeds, then I figured you were
probably thinking of a more agricultural situation. If you are getting
weeds through your mulch, make the mulch thicker. And when they do pop
up, they are easy to pull.

This is total speculation on my part, but has always seemed to me that
any attempt to try and block *every* plant leads to having a much
worse selection of plants start to grow. Nature abhors bare soil and
will send you some nice tough plants to grow there if some of the nice
varieties don't like it there.

> how does the system work in a row crop where no other
> plants are growing such a some corn or tomatoes
> situations?

That sure doesn't sound like my corn or tomatoes. I keep the weeds
around the tomatoes to no more than 6 inches high, but that is mostly
so I can reach the lower tomatoes. And the corn has enough soybeans,
and squash growing in between them that they easily out-compete most
weeds. Most everything else out competes weeds, or just isn't bothered
by the weeds.

I really think weeding is highly over-rated. I take care of the
troublesome ones and leave the rest be. Garlic and onions are the only
things that get more than a minor amount of weeding effort. Of course,
blackberry and canadian thistle get pulled immediately, but that is
because it can get really painful to pull them later.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links