Re: [compost_tea] Brassicas and vam fungi

From: Thomas Giannou <thomas_at_tandjenterprises.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:54:44 -0700

Elaine,

You stated that "Brassica generally produce exudates that do not allow colo=
nization, and in fact may kill mycorrhizal fungi." This may be true as fa=
r as the Brassica plant being colonized by the AM fungi, but I am finding s=
everal research citations that don't support the idea that coplanting Brass=
ica with mycorrhizal plants will kill the AM fungi. In fact, I'm finding m=
any research citations that clearly show that many Brassica sp., do much be=
tter when they are in the presence of AM fungi. I did post one finding tha=
t showed if brassica were planted for 30 days and then mycorrhizal plants w=
ere planted that colonization would be inhibited in the mycorrhizal plants,=
 but if mycorrhizal plants and brassica plants were planted at the same tim=
e, no effect was shown upon the AM fungi which colonized the mycorrhizal pl=
ants. There are also research findings which show certain brassica plants =
being colonized by mycorrhizal fungi, so there are exceptions even with Bra=
ssica.

What is intriguing is that there are a lot of research papers which indicat=
e brassica plants do much better when they are planted near plants that are=
 colonized by AM fungi, where the brassica are not colonized by the fungi. =
 No indication was given in those research papers that the AM fungi coloniz=
ing mycorrhizal plants were being harmed by the Brassica plants.

By the way, a far superior site for mycorrhiza research and resources can b=
e found at this URL....
http://mycorrhiza.ag.utk.edu/ which is the Mycorrhizal Information Exchange=
 run by Dr. Bob Auge of the University of Tennessee.

Best Regards,
Thomas Giannou
http://www.tandjenterprises.com