Re: [compost_tea] Exudates (was: Re: Brassicas and vam fungi)

From: Thomas Giannou <thomas_at_tandjenterprises.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 19:31:04 -0800

Hi Elaine,

Did you notice the second abstract I posted on my previous message? (I put=
 the abstract in this message so you don't have to go look it up).

Brassica oleracea, var. capitata, cv. Hercules cabbage, treated with endomy=
corrhiza as seedlings, became colonized with AM fungi and received benefits=
 from the AM fungi. Hercules cabbage is a fairly popular cultivar found in=
 veggie gardens. If one thinks that Brassica are not colonized by AM fungi=
, and that all Brassica have a negative effect on AM fungi, here's an excep=
tion: a Brassica that is colonized by and benefited by AM fungi.

The mycorrhiza involved in this research finding: Glomus fasciculatum, G. =
aggregatum, and G. mosseae are not all found in commercial inoculum. G. Mo=
sseae is fairly common in many commercial products, but the other two are n=
ot. One thing that is stressed in the book, "Mycorrhiza Symbiosis, second =
edition, 1997, Academic Press" is that endomycorrhizal fungi is generally n=
ot plant species specific. This means that other endomycorrhiza of the Glo=
mus family should be able to colonize the Hercules cabbage.

I was hoping that I could purchase a copy of this particular Biologia Plant=
arum 44(2):277-281 journal over the internet, but it looks like snail mail =
is the only way to get a copy. I'd like to try duplicating the experiment.=
.. only in my veggie garden and coplant with some mycorrhizal plants and se=
e how it all worked out.

                                                      ---------------------=
--------------------------------
Nelson R; Achar PN. 2001. Stimulation of growth and nutrient uptake by VAM =
fungi in Brassica oleracea var. capitata. BIOLOGIA PLANTARUM. 44(2):277-281=
.
Address:

Univ Durban Westville, Dept Microbiol, ZA-4000 Durban, South Africa.

Cabbage (Brassica oleracea, var. capitata, cv. Hercules) seedlings were ino=
culated with vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal (VAM) fungi Glomus fasciculat=
um, G. aggregatum,, and C;. mosseae. Differential efficiency in mycorrhizal=
 colonization and the specificity of fungal symbiont to stimulate the growt=
h and nutrient uptake of the host were observed. In addition, there was an =
increase in phenol, protein, reducing sugar contents, and peroxidase activi=
ty in the VAM inoculated seedlings. Since these compounds are known to conf=
er resistance against fungal pathogens, the use of VAM as a biological cont=
rol agent to protect cabbage against several root diseases is suggested.

Best Regards,
Thomas Giannou
http://www.tandjenterprises.com