[compost_tea] Re: Warm water 'sea grasses'

From: David Hall <dchall8_at_texas.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:04:09 -0000

My question, which maybe I was the only one who understood, has to
do with the specification of cold water kelp, in particular
Ascophyllum nodosum, as the only satisfactory animal feed, soil
amendment, and tea ingredient.  What is magic about the grasses from
cold water?

David Hall
San Antonio, TX

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jaszewski" <tom@l...> wrote:
> (Sargassum) The South Atlantic Council in December 1998 approved a
two-year
> phase out of sargassum collection off the North Carolina coast.
Activists
> from the Center for Marine Conservation, the Environmental Defense
Fund and
> ReefKeeper International spoke in favor of banning the harvest of
the
> seaweed, which is used as habitat by 100 species of fish, more
than 200
> species of invertebrates, by juvenile sea turtles and migratory
sea birds.
> Sargassum circulates from the Sargasso Sea throughout the western
Atlantic
> hundreds of miles offshore. A North Carolina company collects the
seaweed to
> produce agricultural products, including fertilizer and animal
dietary
> supplements. The benefits of these supplements are unclear, said
Michelle
> Duval of EDF. The only company known to take sargassum, it has
harvested 10
> tons/ year since 1976. The council capped the harvest at 25 tons/
year until
> 1/1/01, when it will be banned outright (99U2).

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada

Yahoo! Groups Links