Re: [compost_tea] Powdery mildew, ACT, Grapes, and Roses

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:09:26 EST

When we deal with soil, it is with the sulfur-based compounds that we see the
greatest reduction in beneficial fungi.

Medically important fungi? Different story. When you deal with fungicidal
shampoos, most have both sulfur and copper. So, which is really the most
important in preventing growth? But again, skin surface species are different
from what we find in soil.

Fungi that grow in dry wall? In gysum? That's not a normal set of soil
fungi. When you deal with gypsum, you are probably dealing with a particular set
of mildew fungi that have developed resistance.

So, is it the copper or the sulfur that is most effective at reducing
beneficial fungal species in soil? Our observations are that it is sulfur-based
materials.

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa