Re: [compost_tea] Re: Watering (orchard mulch)

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:46:58 -0500
Butch -

I'm arguing with you about anything.

I'm stating what I know.  I'm sending you to people - Bruce and Malcolm - that I have gotten knowledge from, because I don't have data that can contribute to the disparate views on the situation.  The difference between juniper and cedar?  They both have phenols, tannins and terpenes that can stop microbial decomposition.  Is there a difference between them?  Yes.  What are those differences?  I don't have a list of phenolic compounds for each type of wood.

Hopefully you can state what you know, without attacking someone else, or feeling attacked by the fact someone else has different experience, or knowledge, and without feeling that others are arguing with you.

As long as we stay out of the name-calling arena, as long as we don't label the other person in any way, as long as we respect the other peson, it remains a conversation.

I don't like having my comments labeled as being argumentative when in fact, I am only stating my knowledge.  I don't tell others that they are stupid, or impossible, or suggest that others are bad people, or difficult, or confrontive.

Why does statement of information become an attack on someone else?  It should not be taken that way.

If I'd said "that comment was stupid" then you'd have the right to be offended.  But all I did was state that my experience is that Bruce, who works closely with Malcolm, had agreed with what I was saying about "N suck-up mode", and the phenol problem the last time I talked with him.

But, the best thing is then to go talk to Malcolm, or Bruce, and make sure that what people think they heard from them is actually what they are saying.  Especially on the radio, or TV, or other electronic forms of communication, it is easy to not get the whole conversation or the whole concept, because you got distracted while the show was on, and you missed the informaiton.  Or, the folk on the radio forgot to say that, oh yeah, you have to let the chips age after you chunk them up.

I get mis-quoted all the time, and I appreciate it when people come back to me and clarify what they thought they heard.  People have "quoted" me as saying things that were just out-rageous, and that anyone who knew me would know was something that would never come out of my mouth.

So, let's go back to where people think they heard something very different, and get the situation clarified, instead going on and on about something without solid knowledge.

And, please, stop viewing statements of what I know as confrontive or argumentative, or anything else.  Stop reading attitudes or view points into what I say that simply are not there.

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor