Re: [compost_tea] Re: Watering (orchard mulch)

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:32:15 -0500
Thank you, Ron, for checking up on the cedar information.

I would strongly suspect that steam cooking the cedar flakes just might remove the phenols, terpenes, etc that I indicated have been known to cause problems with conifer wood material.

Quote from the website -
"Back in the early seventies, a gardening friend suggested he and I form a company to promote and sell cedar flakes as a horticultural product. He knew of a mill in the Hill Country that was grinding old cedar stumps and steam cooking the small chips or flakes to get the cedar oil. The oil was being used in all types of aromatics and sold at a high price. The flakes were considered a by-product and could be purchased cheap."

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor