Re: [compost_tea] chlorine and chloramine removal with aquarium dechlor

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:51:14 -0800

It is my recommendation to all my customers to never use chemical dechlorin=
aters. There are other ways to get chlorine/chloramine out of water but th=
ey take some time and pre-brewing preparation. Even when I use filters tha=
t proport to remove chlorine, I still pre-aerate the water for at least 6 h=
ours before brewing. UV removes chlorine but it isn't instantaneous.

I performed a test after Elaine reported that chlorine/chloramine evaporate=
d when sprayed through a sprinkler system. Here is the test and my results=
:

Test and test parameters:

DU (distribution uniformity from a sprinkler head) is measured with somethi=
ng called a catch-can test and it is pretty self explanatory. I put severa=
l cans which had been rinsed thoroughly with chlorine free water in an area=
 covered by sprinklers and captured water from the same. (I use a simple p=
ool test kit to determine chlorine levels. When the test water stays clear=
, no chlorine.) I took samples from several different cans and compared th=
at with water directly from a tap on the same system.

Results:

Tap water showed presence of chloramine. The test is not so accurate as to=
 indicate precise amounts. There is a color bar similar to the Solvita tes=
t and most PH tests. The darker the color the more cholorine. The tap sho=
wed in the mid level which is estimated by the test. The important thing h=
ere is mid-range from zero to undrinkable.

Catch can water showed presence of chloramine. This tested (several tests =
at different times) levels between mid-point and zero but the amounts chang=
ed with each test. After I left the catch-can water in the sun for two hou=
rs, the water tested zero for chloramine.

We don't have chlorine in any water from any municipal district in San Luis=
 Obispo county. Chlorine may indeed totally dissapate by sprinkler action =
of water distribution.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE