Re: [compost_tea] Re: CEC (was: Rock Dust)

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:02:31 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Jaszewski
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 8:50 AM
Subject: [compost_tea] Re: CEC (was: Rock Dust)

   The CEC, though used extensively, is of limited value in
agriculture.
The test was adopted by the agricultural industry as a tool to
perpetuate
the manipulative fertilization practices of modern agriculture that
have led
to the mining of the soil.

The above is probably true but I think we may be mixing traditional knowled=
ge and practice with new. I actually think that CEC is far more important =
than people realize. I have read several different sources including those=
 from soil scientists and the growing feeling is that CEC, long misundersto=
od and discounted, actually is quite vital in the process of developing hea=
lthy, biologically diverse soil. I know most people skip over it in soil t=
ests. This is especially true if the test comes back with a number of reco=
mmendations to correct "imbalances" in soil nutrients/minerals. This is the=
 traditional view. It doesn't mean, as far as I can tell, that the balance=
 it represents isn't needed to sustain healthy soil or that CT users can't =
use it to determine the ability of the biology in the soil to break down th=
e soil into necessary nutrients usually bound in unobtainable and unmeasura=
ble forms.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor