RE: [compost_tea] Flow forms

From: Tom Jaszewski <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:29:46 -0800

>From archive..

ranui ranui_at_allwest.net <mailto:ranui%40allwest.net>
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:43:33 -0600

<http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/compostteas/Week-of-Mon-20020812/000490=
.
html> Re: Compostteas digest, Vol 1 #94 - 3 msgs
<http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/compostteas/Week-of-Mon-20020812/000493=
.
html> Flow forms
<http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/compostteas/Week-of-Mon-20020812/date.h=
ml#491> date ] [
<http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/compostteas/Week-of-Mon-20020812/thread=
.
html#491> thread ] [
<http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/compostteas/Week-of-Mon-20020812/subjec=
.html#491> subject ] [
<http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/compostteas/Week-of-Mon-20020812/author=
.
html#491> author ]

  _____

I did 10 batches of compost tea last January - April in New Zealand
using flow forms. The teas were made with a certified bio-grow compost
with the addition of plant extracts of ragwort and gorse from our farm.
I also added molasses a seaweed extract that we made from seaweed we
collected on the east coast of NZ and a first fertilizer made by John
Pearce, a Biodynamic farmer located on the Kaipara Harbor. I placed the
compost in a mesh bag in a 2500-liter tank and ran the flow forms for
between 18 and 26 hours. We saw moderate to no temperature increases.
We sprayed the tea on pastures and monitored changes in pasture growth.
On only one occasion did we see a very visible difference in pasture
growth. The farm is a conventional dairy that is in its first year of
conversion to an organic system.

We have not had any testing done of the compost tea. I believe that
Elaine Ingham has done some testing of flow forms and found good
aeration in the forms however, the holding tanks can go anaerobic. We
plan to add an aeration system in our holding tank and hopefully get
some tests done later this year.

Steven Erickson Ranui Gardens