Re: [compost_tea] basic questions

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:43:18 -0800

From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [compost_tea] basic questions

Organisms don't tend to just wash out of compost. It takes a fair bit of e=
ffort to pull the organisms away from their food.

Sort of like people sitting at a table -- it's hard to pull them away from =
the table as the meal is arriving. You have to do something pretty drastic=
 to get them to leave.

In compost, it's the vortex, or the water movement through the compost that=
 rips the organisms from the compost into the water. So passive water move=
ment through a layer of compost on the soil

What compost can do that compost tea can not is provide a large source of c=
arbon in addition to the biology. Some soils are carbon deficient and ther=
e is nothing for the biology to work on. Bacteria can dissolve certain min=
erals through enzymatic action but it is a miniscule amount. But if the bi=
ology doesn't have a carbon source in the soil it will take a lot longer to=
 reestablish a healthy soil and soil biology.

I have done a set of experiments to get biology working in sand. Where I l=
ive, most of the soil is a kind of hydrophobic, fine grained sand. I tried=
 all kinds of things to kick off the biology but had little success. I fin=
ally got the idea to just use molasses. Actually someone may have mentione=
d it in relation to something else so I don't think it's really an original=
 thought. However, I did notice a difference in soil structure and noticed=
 that the soil actually started clumping together. Microscopic examination=
 show a lot of bacteria. Now, I would think that over time, this may actua=
lly convert the soil and start actions that allow grasses to root in the so=
il and eventually decay and provide a natural source of carbon. That may ta=
ke dozens of years though and I have only been experimenting for 2 1/2 year=
s on this project. I think it is far easier to use compost or mulch then u=
se tea to multiply the biology in the compost. Every once in a while, give=
 the area a shot of molasses so there is a constant supply of "primitives" =
at the bottom of the food chain. However, if you are looking for something=
 like errosion control or long-term change in sandy soil, simple molasses m=
ay be an answer. Remember thought that you need a longer time. If you can=
 afford it, high-quality, highly-diverse compost can't be beat. Around her=
e a lot of people use horse manure. They don't even compost it or do anyth=
ing but scoop it up and throw it on the land. I've got some composting but=
 a lot are still resisting the extra work regardless of the overall benefit=
.

Ted Peterson
SOE