Re: [compost_tea] Re: Findin' out

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:59:38 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Cowan
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 4:24 PM
  Subject: [compost_tea] Re: Findin' out

  Ted,

  Have you found plants that showed a high brix in the leaves and other str=
uctures and tested adequate with a chemical leaf analysis to have disease p=
roblems or heavy insect problems?

John et al:

I haven't found heavier insect problems when using tea. In fact, I haven't=
 found any problems other than snails. Here is a proposition:

1. Tell a couple of your neighbors what you found with CT.
2. See if you can get a couple of them to set aside some small number of bu=
shes for a test.
3. Go and spray them with tea.
4. See what happens.

I imagine you will respray your bushes but maybe keep a few out.

When you separate them from any location, make sure they are in the same ar=
ea and one that will get the least amount of overspray from the pesticide o=
r the tea. You will get some overspray but you can minimize it so that you=
 can see a trend. You are looking for trending. If you get similar result=
s in a majority of the fields you try, you have a trend. It's not proof bu=
t if you get trending, you may be able to write a grant to conduct a full-s=
cale test. It appears that roses are big by you so you may have a rose gro=
up that will fund you. If roses make up a percentage of GNP of your county=
, you may find some county offices that can fund and will publish the repor=
t of your experiment.

However, as with any experiment, be prepared to fail. I tried a water prep=
 experiment based on some previous work I was involved with and it totally =
failed. Luckily, something else came out of it but the original propositio=
n just never kicked in.

Ted Peterson
SOE