Re: [compost_tea] basic questions

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:08:09 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: butch ragland
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: [compost_tea] basic questions

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get this
straight answer.

Butch:

Yes. You need a decomposing organic base in your soil. CT cannot provide =
it. Only compost or some form or decomposing organic waste can.

If you are growing vegetables, a certain amount of nutrients are removed fr=
om the soil. The basic laws of thermodynamics cover this pretty well. Mat=
ter cannot be created or destroyed but it can be converted and transformed.=
  Plants use the nutrients and minerals (among other things) in the soil an=
d transfer them to the plant and the fruit. Flowering and seeding use a lo=
t of resources from the soil. Somehow, these nutrients and minerals must b=
e resupplied. Compost is one way and probably the most effective way of en=
suring long-term soil health.

Remember that all that brewing CT does is multiply the biology FROM the com=
post and allow you to apply it to the soil in a different form. THAT'S IT!=
  It cannot replace compost as a source of organic matter. However, there =
may be organic matter in the soil that is unused because the soil biology i=
s dormant or nonexistant. In these cases, CT can reactivate the use of the=
 existing organic matter. When this is gone and if there is no program to =
reuse the plant material by allowing it to decompose into the soil, organic=
 matter has to be introduced in some way. Compost and mulch have proven to=
 absolutely work in these conditions.

Now, how much do you need?

Depending on crops, most people I work with try to apply compost at least e=
very two to five years. I have one client who composts anew every year but=
 I don't think this is necessary. Also, if you read about sustainability, =
you will find that part of the sustainable approach is to use clovers and o=
ther crops that are mowed and allowed to decompose as a source of organic m=
atter.

A good friend of mine is Joe Clokey. He's the son of Art Clokey of Gumby f=
ame and now manages the Gumby empire. Before he took that over, he started=
 a company called San Luis Video Publications. He, and his wife, produced =
a bunch of video tapes based around sustainable agriculture and horticultur=
e. They are good starting points if you are thinking of implementing susta=
inable ag.

www.slovideo.com

San Luis Video Publishing
(805) 528-8322