Re: [compost_tea] Mystery Organic Spray

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:19:55 -0500
Hi Scott -

I think it is a specific fungal species that attacks chitin, specficially chitin found in certain insect exoskeletons.

Paul Stametz does a great  deal of work on these critters as well, and has a patented method for growing them.

The problem with compost tea is that the full diversity of organisms are present, and as such, the EPA can't get a handle on exactly what is present with each brew.

Just like compost - the EPA doesn't know what to do with it, because of the diversity of critters and foods so they prevent claims from being made about it's use.

So, to pass the "pest test", it has to be a limited set of organisms, whose numbers can be quantified.

There are several other inocula with similar organisms in it, but much greater diversity.

I thnk that in the next few years, we will see a huge number of these single-species, bio-control inocula developed.  Buy them, add them to your compost pile, and if the critter is able to survive in your climate, you then have improved diversity.

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Links