Re: [compost_tea] Digest Number 953

From: Jerry Cunningham <Jerry.Cunningham_at_CoyoteCreekFarm.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:09:28 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

I was interested in Steve Divers last post, in it was this sentence:

"CaCO3 is hypothesized to provide high calcium base saturation
levels to the soil, supporting plant resistance to
insects and diseases."

I want to add calcium to my pasture, used for grazing for two reasons;
1. To feed the fungi, and 2. To floculate my heavy clay soil.

Is CaCO3 a good way to do this? If so where do I get it. What are some
other ways that I can do this?

I tried adding 5 pounds of lime to a batch of tea and it seemd to lower the=

pH so much that it killed the biology.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Jerry Cunningham
Coyote Creek Farm