Re: [compost_tea] SOD

From: L Blair <rlbct_at_clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 12:42:10 +1300
My understanding of the way compost tea works is that it
1.  foliar appication: covers leaves and stems with a microbial food-web
that makes it difficult for an infecting microbe to find a place or
nutrients to live.
2.  soil drench: innoculates the soil with a broad range of beneficial
species (and more than that I can't say).

To me it seems reasonable to be able to claim that most any ACT that gets
good test results would have beneficial general results.
However, when dealing with a *specific infectious organism* that requires a
"specific predator specy", it seems obvious that one cannot claim "CT works
for this" - ie a general statement attributed to any CT brew.  If a species
is found that "does the job" under these circumstances then surely it must
be in the CT for the CT to be effective? - if CT is a satisfactory delivery
mechanism for that case.

Tim wrote:
> SOD is Phytophora ramorum.

Thank you Tim, its good to be able to be specific about such a problem.
Questions I have at the moment :
1.  is any oak tree susceptable, or does it depend on the health of the tree
( and probably on the fertility of the soil)?
2.  is there a  predator for the P. ramorum at some stage in its life cycle
that could be used to keep the tree healthy?
3.  or some nutrition that the tree is short of of? element(s), amino acids,

Lynton

Yahoo! Groups Links