[compost_tea] seed propagation with and without CT's

From: garyjsd <garyjones_at_soilrestorationinc.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:15:51 -0000

HI all,

I've spoken to a number of nurseries as well a golf course recently
and need some clarification on whether compost tea and also possibly
worm castings will accelerate the rate of seed germination and the
percent of successful "events".  I had thought that, if done
properly, that seedling would germinate faster with a CT and worm
castings present.

I understand that many seeds are coated in a fungicide which Elaine
suggests soaking in a CT before using.  But one nursery owner I
discussed this with said that he uses a "salt shaker" type of device
to distribute the seeds and they would be much too moist to spread.
And how do we efficiently soak seeds and then dry them out to the
point where they can be spread?

The other question is in how best to set the seeds for germination.

What if a golf course wants to reseed their tees and spreads seed
and worm castings directly down as a top dressing.  This would be
following by irrigation sprinkling.  The seeds have probably not
been soaked and the water contains choramine which may or maynot be
a problem in this situation.  They should probably have use a worm
tea or a CT after the seeding.

The golf course saw no improved germination rate vs. their
conventional approach.

So I guess the two contexts I am concerned about would be seeding on
a turf setting and seed propagation in a nursery setting.

Gary Jones
Soil Restoration Inc
www.soilrestorationinc.com

Yahoo! Groups Links