Re: [compost_tea] Re: Adding Lime/Calcium to Soil

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:21:53 EST

Sure would love to know what's going on with the biology in all that!
anyway you could get a little microscope and take a look? I'd be interested in
hearing your observations, and help you make sense of them!

Elaine

Vanilla Henry wrote:

I am buying a commercial product from a sustainable agricultural inputs
supplier here in Costa Rica that is marketed as Cal-Si-Mag. The product
is made by putting fresh cow manure, calcium carbonate and Magnesium in
the 4 to 1 proportion and Silica in a sealed drum. The anaerobic
microorganisms chelate the minerals. I have applied this product to my
compost tea. My main observation is that the product, which I buy in a
one gallon container still smells slightly like cow manure, so I add one
half pint at the beginning and one half pint after 12 hours. The other
ingredientes are compost, vermicompost, fish hydrolizate, humic acids
and molasses. I have had very limited and controlled disease stress on
my spice crops.

Henry