[compost_tea] Re: Inclusion of clay in compost

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncat.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 17:04:11 -0000

Hola Jeff -

See the references that I posted, especially
the paper on Luebke compost.  Years of travels,
workshops, and microbial study went into this paper,
and I'm just the voice for 25-30 years of R&D by
the Luebke family and their network of colloboraters
in Austria.

Further, see the post from Tom J. that provides
text of a message I sent to US Compost Council
list, providing the source material for Dr.
Selman Waksman's notes on clay amendments
to compost.

Learn about the breakdown and buildup
compost phases -- also known as catabolic
and anabolic -- and find out what Pfeiffer,
Luebke, and Petrik all have in common.

What is humification of organic matter.

What are humic substances and humus
formation and humus fractions.

Find out what humified compost is all about
and the importance of clay-humus formation
through the addition of clay.

What is the microscope setup the Siegfried
Luebke put together and why Pike Agri-Lab
Supplies in Maine duplicated this systems to
study clay-humus formation in soils and composts.

examine the source material I posted on
Raoul France' and his wife Anne France-Harrar.

"Why" would humified compost be a superb
compost substrate for compost tea vs.
partially decomposed, fluffy compost with
little structure?

Adios,
Steve Diver

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Jeff Lowenfels <jeff@g...> wrote:
> Gee,  I would love to get some source of info that clay makes humus
> more stable.  Humus is extremely stable and I doubt the clay has
any
> impact.
> Do you have any references?
>
> THANKS!