Re: [compost_tea] Inclusion of clay in compost

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:03:28 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Barrow
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Cc: ssteyn_at_wcaccess.co.za
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 1:37 AM
Subject: RE: [compost_tea] Inclusion of clay in compost

Clay is also added to compost to stabilise the humus fraction. . .

Folks:

First, don't take anybody's speculation. The Luebke's have investigated th=
is thoroughly and it is an essential part of their program. Don't underest=
imate the value of adding granite or clay to your compost.

The Luebke composting program is different than EPA standards for composts.=
  In my experience, using biology to compost materials and control pathogen=
s instead of pasturization works. The problem is that because of EPA and o=
ther regulatory agencies, this type of cold compost cannot be certified and=
 sold in the US. If you want to use it for making compost for CT, don't ex=
pect certification. Steve Diver has a better handle on this than I do and =
questions should be addressed to him.

One of the requirements for cold composting is the inclusion of granite dus=
t or certain forms of clay. The person I learned composting from did this =
all the time and I didn't know exactly why until I started investigating. =
I would suggest the same to others on this list.

I add a small portion of granite dust to most batches of tea and I use it c=
onsistently in all the compost I make including the specialty compost for C=
alifornia Native Plants.

But do some investigation on your own and find out why this is important. =
By the way, Rodale composting methods also mention clays and granite dust.

Ted Peterson
SOE