Re: [compost_tea] Re: Just a thought . . .

From: Perry Clutts <addy_at_arczip.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:59:41 -0500

Bob wrote: Do you know more from this science than the results of a few h=
undred farmers who experioenced a result?

Forgot all about this Bob.. thanks for reminding me... and I'm sure thi sty=
pe of research is in the publication from OFRF (it's been a few years since=
 I read it)... We, in Ohio, have done quite a bit fo research with this met=
hod. One very helpful one was with corn vareity testing with over a dozen f=
armers acrss the state. The thing is... all the farmers must use the same/s=
imilar guidlines and still need the replecation on the farm level...

When you can't produce an exact way to test tell me why we should not learn=
 from honest observation? Are many anacdotal reports less valid evidence?

I think in the case of observation, the most important thing is to document=
 the variables because it may only work the same way under those same situa=
tions. It can be frustrating for someone that does not understand that a sy=
stem must be followed... We've heard Elaine talk about folks that don't hav=
e success, and later she finds out they are still using chemicals and did n=
ot make the connection that the chemicals would make a difference...

I know what you mean about the long term effects of Round-up.... Was just t=
rying to make the point that for some people... it will be hard to justify =
switching when there is not a lot of science behind it. Remember for most l=
ending situations, and government programs require BMP's (best management p=
ractices)... i.e. We can't get crop insurance because we graze.... We have =
trouble with our EQUIP grant because NRCS does not allow that compost can h=
elp the fertility of the soil in place of using chemical fertilizers... So,=
 I'd argue that even if we don't want "science" some will need it to move f=
orward...

Perry