Re: [compost_tea] Re: Flow rate for air pumps

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:47:49 -0800
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:38:14 -0800 (PST), Robert Norsen
<bnbrew_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Question Tom,  At sea level atmospheric is 15 psi + - barometric changes.
> What is it at 5,000 ft altitude?  When the weight of the head pressure of
> the depth of water in the tank is added, the depth of water head PSI should
> compensate in some part for the higher altitude.  Anyone? ACT at the bottom
> of the tank is OK - ACT at the top of the tank is sufferiing from low O2?
> Water cirulates top to bottom 30 time a minute.  What is the result?  Bob

At 5000 ft it is around 12 PSI. You need around 6 feet of water to
make that up. But you aren't actually making up the difference.

The gas exchange happens at the air/water interface, and that is where
it reaches equilibrium. The further you are from the surface, the
further you are from saturation.

If you have stratified water layers, and have a method to introduce
those gasses at that higher pressure, then you could indeed increase
the gasses to the higher saturation level. But no brewer that I have
seen works that way.

Yahoo! Groups Links