Re: [compost_tea] Re: a good fungi takes out a bad one.....

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:50:52 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tom Jaszewski
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:57 AM
  Subject: [compost_tea] Re: a good fungi takes out a bad one.....

  Aspergillus flavus seen under an electron microscope

  http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/aflatoxin/image1.html

I read these articles with interest. What I don't get is what is the facto=
r that supports the outcompetition? Both are the same fungi but different =
strains. The only logged difference seems to be the production of aflatoxi=
ns. So why would a fungus that doesn't produce aflatoxins be dominant in a=
n environment where both should grow? Why does the nontoxin producing fung=
us outcompete the toxin producing parent?

It would seem to me that whatever that factor is, that a counteragent could=
 be made that suppressed the fungus in toto. No need to innoculate with a =
nontoxin producing fungus.

Ted Peterson
SOE