Re: [compost_tea] Re: Flow rate for air pumps

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:48:31 EST

Hi Leo from Chihuahua -

Great! If the fungi and protozoa are present and increasing in numbers
during the brew, then you know the brew has to be staying aerobic.

It would be great if people who have DO probes, and have the microscopes,
could do some checking relative to "what dissolved oxygen corresponds to when the
protozoa and fungi disappear from the tea brew".

The precise value of dissolved oxygen where the aerobic organisms are lost
may be different in different water sources, with different nutrient additions
to the brews.

Would it not be good to know this kind of information?

For example, when we add yucca to a brew, we have seen that we lose the
protozoa at about 6.3 ppm O2, and not at 6.0. It seems odd that addition of a
wetting agent would cause an "earlier" loss of aerobic organisms, but maybe the
fact that the bacteria and fungi growing on yucca make some pretty sticky-stuff
means oxygen diffusion is more limited than when those gooey materials are
not present.

Addition of calcium to the compost, and then use of that compost in the tea
brewer seems to result in protozoa and fungi being able to survive down to
about 5.5 ppm, instead of being lost at 6.0 ppm oxygen.

Interesting, huh? Have other people seen this? Does anyone else have
experiences or observations to support, or give other considerations?

But, as Leo points out, as long as the biology is telling you the tea brew is
aerobic, by the fact that those organisms are present, you know your tea brew
is aerobic. You would not need a DO probe to confirm what the biology is
telling you.

Elaine
(I'm in Australia just now, using the lab computer, so you don't get the
typical sign - off. Grin!)

Leo's e-mail:

Hola a todos.....Hello for all

I do not, but in my compost tea-tank I put 135 to 145
L/min in 600L of work vol.(Dont have a
DO-metter)....and I do not knew the DO% or ppm.
My time of brewing +/- 18-24hr..
The quality of tea is good to very good.....I take
samples every 3 o 5 hours.to check under
microscopy..when I have time...

Thx
Salu2
Leo....From Chihuahua...MX