Re: [compost_tea] Milk and powdery mildew...

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:31:17 -0800 (PST)

So milk might be a useful nutrient added to ACT during the brew? Yogurt? Sour milk?
Whole unpasturized milk? Brew it with good Aerobic conditions? Bob

soilfoodweb_at_aol.com wrote:
Milk contains lactose, a sugar, and also contains milk proteins.

These can grow quite a number of different microbes. Depends on the other environmental conditions.

There are quite a few suppositions about what might be the factor influencing the benefits of applying milk on plant tissues, but I am not aware of any solid data on the subject.

We have the same discussion about molasses, for example. Milk proteins could, and does, grow some pathogens, if other conditions are conducive. These proteins could also grow some suppressive organisms. Depends on conditions. So, what are the other conditions that have to be met.

Aerobic conditions. pH around 7. Decent set of microbes to make sure that the beneficials are present, not just the pathogens.

So, for us to know that application of milk will always be beneficial requires greater understanding of these conditions. Therefore, we need more studies, more data. Typical scientist response....... grin!

Elaine

Mike asked "WHAT it is in the milk that suppresses the fungus?"

Have the scientists in this list answered this question yet?
Scott

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT