Re: [compost_tea] foam and tests and pH and backbiting

From: Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:46:09 -0900
First, there was a question posted about foam.....in the past, it has
been noted that proteins as in ground up or dead worms (and I suppose
arthropods) can cause foam..I know when I tested some DRAMM worm
product I really got a good head of foam and that vermicompost/Alaska
Humus mixes always had foam as well.  It is nothing to worry about in
any case unless it smells bad or takes up too much space in your
brewer!

My experience is that I don't get a good foam until 24 hours, though it
starts forming early. In the case of a mix that I know has vermi, I
look to the foam to tell me when the mix is finished.

Second, there have been some quesions regarding tests.  There should be
no doubt that if you want to know what is going on in your teas, you
should have several tests done. We all know brewers that don't make
good tea, but who would know without a test? You can't assume your
brewer or your compost is doing the job without testing. After you know
what works and doesn't, you probably only need to test at the beginning
of the season.

Third, there was a question regarding compost and if it can change soil
pH.  People used to think all compost had the same pH. Not so. We know
we can make fungal and bacterial composts with different ph. Adding
compost to your soil can change the pH of the soil, though the
microbiology in the soil and compost can buffer the change. This is an
area where we could use some words from Doc Elaine...PLEASE

And I say PLEASE because it is a privilege to have Dr. Ingham
participate on this list. It should be obvious by now that two folks on
this list have some sort of problem with Soil Foodweb, Inc or Doc
Elaine.  O.K. we get that. The rest of us, however, fully appreciate
and very much want the contributions to the discussion that come from
Doctor Elaine.  As far as I am concerned, you should either contain
your disdain, handle it off list  or move on to another list. I can
tell you that if it is a choice between those who wish to detract and
Doc Elaine, Doc Elaine wins in a nanosecond. I don't want it to come to
that.

Cheers,

jeff

Plant a Row in your garden to feed the hungry. Join Plant A Row for the
Hungry. Ask me how. www.gwaa.org/Par/index.html

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links