[compost_tea] Re: new microbial fungal control

From: Henry Karczynski <vanilla_at_racsa.co.cr>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:22:22 -0700

>Message: 22
>   Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:21:21 EST
>   From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
>Subject: Re: Re: new microbial fungal control
>

>Useful tool to have, but realize that it is a bit lacking in  diversity......
>
>Grin!
>
>Elaine

I agree with the lack of microbial diversity. The linked article goes on to describe a situation were linseed roots planted within a commercial crop produced a Streptomyces that eliminated a fungal disease stress, which resonates with the "sustainable school" of planting in a diversity climate. Evidently companion plant roots produce carbohydrate exudate material that are used as either feed to attract beneficial microorganisms or repel antagonistic. Sustainable agriculture researchers sometimes still subconciously digress to their  "green revolution" academia training in describing metabolic processes as "waste", when they really mean products/sub-products of enzymatic processes, that include minerals, vitamins, antibiotics and hormones.

The alquimists of the middle ages (the first true chemists) had to use coded language during the period when the Church was controlling science and history recorded how they tried turning lead into gold.  However they were really working with carbon and not as reported-lead.  Microorganisms are the true alquimists as they take carbon and transform it through metabolic processes into something different! Rudolph Steiner explains these process in his book "Agriculture".

I think we still pay way too much attention to the what minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates, etc. are in the original food and not enough to how much of the above are in the food after it gets digested.  Look at the 3 billion asians eating white and not whole rice! The  end product, metabolites or "waste" are really what get the compost and tea users excited!

Regarding coco coir, or shredded coconut husk, I have been using this product for about 10 years with excellant results as a component in my potting mix and as a component with a soil amendment. I noticed all the orchid projects here using it in their potting mix so I researched coco husk in conventional research texts and they mentioned the lack of any mineral value or "green revolution" mineral nutrients and only mentioned the "high available iron", which turns out to be an excellant fungal food.
My observations on the incorporation of coir are hi increased root growth vs. plants without the coir.  Like the principle of anions and cations "talvez" the coir needs to be mixed with its polar opposite to get the total "paramagnetic and dimagnetic" effect.

Henry
Costa Rica

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here