Re: [compost_tea] Re: SFI requirements

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:45:36 EST

Perhaps I missed your original question, so I am glad you asked again.

SFI advisors have to take the introductory class, which is a three day, 8
hour a day, intensive course. They then need to take a day and a half course
on compost, and another one on compost tea. We expect them to have the
ability to do the small microscope assessments of compost or tea, but they do not
have to be able to do these assays, as they can send the samples into the lab.

They then have to do a set number of assessments in the field with the lab,
so we know that they know what they are doing in interpreting SFI results.

They then are invited to take a class which is another three day intensive
course to go through the advisors training. We concentrate on getting them to
really understand nutrient cycling, the interaction of soil biology and soil
chemistry, and to focus on learning to do the SFI approach in the crop or
plant system of their choice.

No one is an expert in all plant-growing systems, so please don't expect
that all advisors can help in all plant production systems. Typically if an
advisor does not have expertise in a particular plant system, they will get help
from another SFI advisor who is an expert in that plant system. They can
always call me, and if I don't know, I ask people I know about the question.

So, even if an advisor doesn't know everything (grin!), they should be able
to apply the non-toxic approach to plant health.

Advisors then have to practice their craft by working in the field, doing
samples, interpreting, helping people achieve results, etc. Advisors who do
not work with SFI can not remain advisors.

On rare occasions we have had people do the training, but then not use the
knowledge properly. We have had one or two people who trained with us, and
used the SFI name to push one particular product. These people have not
remained SFI advisors for long. SFI advisors can have products they sell, but they
cannot be tied to one product, or one product line alone. They have to
recommend what is right to get the biology working in the soil, so they have to
be willing to use a range of products.

We have had people who do similar consulting as SFI advisors, but not stick
with a program of moving soil into a healthy condition. I cannot support
people who year after year use toxic chemicals, when they should be able to get
biology doing the work for the grower.

There are the situations where trained people did not send in any soil
samples to any SFI lab. If they are not assessing biology, and trying to move
people into a biological sound condition, then how can they be practicing their
craft?

If you don't measure, you can't manage. If someone doesn't measure the
biology in soil, then they can't be an SFI advisor.

Hope this helps.

Elaine

In a message dated 3/13/2005 12:27:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,