Re: [compost_tea] container use

From: Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:58:14 -0900
Ed,

Good question. Simple answer.I  have been using compost tea in my
greenhouse for several years. One thing is for sure:  If your pots sit
in trays, you better drain them out after you apply it and excess
drains through the soil. I've done the experiment--accidently, with
controls, also accidental! and the plants that sit in the excess tea do
not do well. They are stunted, yellowed,  and otherwise "sick".....This
goes beyond letting a plant sit in water as I included that in my
experiment as well so I don't attribute this to lack of air in the
soil.

The tea goes anaerobic. Smell it. Some alcohols in there, though their
smells may be masked. You like beer, your plants don't!

Cheers,

Jeff
www.alaskahumus.com

Plant a Row in your garden to feed the hungry. Join Plant A Row for the
Hungry. Ask me how. www.gwaa.org/Par/index.html

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links