Re: permaculture vs. sustainable ag

> Can anyone tell me the difference between permaculture and sustainable
> agriculture.  Thanks, Jack

The following two links address this question pretty well:

Towards a Sustainable Agriculture
http://www.ru.org/artagri.html

Introduction to Permaculture: Concepts and Resources
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/perma.html

More summaries can be found in the following collection
of "introduction to sustainable ag" web links at:
http://www.attra.org/rel.html

  What is Sustainable Agriculture?
  Exploring Sustainability in Agriculture
  Defining and Implementing Sustainable Agriculture
  Towards a Sustainable Agriculture
  Future Horizons: Recent Literature in Sustainable Agriculture
  Tracing the Evolution of Organic/Sustainable Agriculture
  Sustainable Agriculture: Definitions and Terms
  An Introduction to Sustainable Agriculture

Essentially, they are similar in that they are based on goals and
philosophy and not a particular set of production practices per se.
Certainly the two intermix and intermingle back and forth all day
long.  But conceptually and how they are approached in
practice, I would say they are quite distinct.

One diagram I like very much, can be found at the Ecological
Agriculture Projects website in the article from the list above,
"An Introduction to Sustainable Agriculture."
http://eap.mcgill.ca/Publications/EAP16.htm

This diagram characterizes School of Thought in Agriculture
on a scale of permanence from Low Sustainability to High
Sustainability.

Steve Diver
steved@attra.org

"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".