Re: sanet-mg-digest V1 #1018

Regarding efficiency, I've noted previously the necessity of using the
second law of thermodynamics rather than the first law as the standard if
we are to achieve sustainability. (See "Lettuce and the Laws of
Thermodynamics" 10/31/97 : at www.wshu.org/duesing.)

It is almost as important to keep in mind what we are talking about. Just
growing food or the whole food system?  Greg questions Avery's assumption
that we'll grow corn and beans to feed animals (with the plants and animals
being perhaps thousands of miles apart), rather than raising animals on
pasture.

There is also the assumption that those animals will represent about 20
percent (and shrinking) of the value of the food that's consumed. Ten
percent of 20 percent is not much compared to the possibilities for cutting
into the 80 percent marketing share. As the trends are pointing, more and
more of any hogs raised will be eaten as small pieces of highly processed
meats in frozen pizza pockets and fast food breakfasts very far from where
corn or hogs were raised.

Efficient, productive organic farms growing for the existing food
distribution system will be only slightly less disasterous for the planet
and society than chemical farms.

Bill Duesing
Old Solar Farm
Certified organic
local, direct marketing

"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".