Re: [Fwd: fwd on dioxin in europe]

No offence, Kathryn, but because of its payment structure REPS is not targeting
the biggest and most intensive farms and certainly not the large pig and poultry
units. OTOH the scheme has been beneficial to the organic sector because of the
extra payments available to registered organic holdings participating in the
scheme. It also appears to have catapulted organic farming out of the *beardies
and their weirdies* realm. Finally you can talk about 'organics' even in the
most conservative of farming circles w/o getting that *smile*.

The Irish Dept. of Agriculture and Food can be found at
http://www.irlgov.ie/daff/ . Basic info on the Rural Environment Protection
Scheme is available there.

For those with a deeper interest in the matter, the Irish Heritage Council
http://ireland.iol.ie/~sec/ is shortly going to publish a report on the "Impacts
of Agriculture Schemes and Premia Payments on Aspects of Irish Heritage"
including a detailed ag policy analysis and a good, hard look at the pros and
cons of the REPS. An ag policy document has already been published by the
Council which draws on findings of the report.

For those interested in the European picture check out the European Commission
Webserver, DGVI Agriculture at http://europa.eu.int/comm/dg06/index.htm and go
to "Agriculture and Environment".

Greetings from Ireland.

Ute

kathryn marsh wrote:
[snip]
> Well here in Ireland a great deal has been done under CAP and more is in
> agenda 2000 to encourage a move towards sustainable agriculture - check out
> the Rural Environment Protection Scheme on our Dept Ag web site - don't
> have the address but it will link from the irlgov site somewhere

[snip]

--
Dipl.-Ing. TU Landschafts- und Freiraumplanung
Ute Bohnsack

"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".