Arborsmith Home Page

http://www.wmni.net/arborstu/index1.html
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.  Venaura Farm
http://metalab.unc.edu/ecolandtech/landcare.html
/intergarden /permaculture /permaculture-online
lflondon@mindspring.com  london@metalab.unc.edu
Title: Arborsmith Home Page

Welcome To Arborsmith Studios

This is the place where trees are planted, shaped and grafted to become art, architecture and furniture.

By Arborsculptor Richard Charles Reames.

Red Alder chair and glass table ready for planting.

Arborsculpture:  Trunks of living trees shaped into useful and artistic forms.

My designs include chairs, tables, benches, entrance arches, houses, mazes, symbols, letters, fences and ladders. I also design trees to hold and slowly swallow stained glass, bird cages, crystals, statues and fountains.

By planting, framing, bending, and grafting various parts of trees together I have been able to grow a variety of shapes and structures.  All growing taller and thicker every year, as long as they live. Kinetic sculpture, really.

These outdoor sculptures make wonderful landscape additions.

Be different. Be unusual. Be creative. Be unique. Be one of the first to have a "Reames tree" growing in your landscape. Be daring. Be radical. Be on my planting calender now. Call me.

(541) 846-7188

4 years after planting this Poplar tree is about 6 meters (18 feet) tall.

I am experienced with:  Alder, Ash, Sycamore, White Birch, Poplar, Japanese Maple, Cherry, Apple, Pear, Locust, Redwood, Eucalyptus, Willow, Oak and Ponderosa Pine.

I also offer slide show lectures, workshops and private consultations.

"Live housing and live furniture may be the ultimate ecological solution"

I am now accepting commissions. See the details, FAQ and references.

Be sure to get on my free newsletter list, for all the news and site updates, just send a note that says add to list.

Mail to Arborsmith Studios

Link exchange welcome

Portfolio 1

Portfolio 2

New Portfolio 9-99

You can practice the art yourself with my book, How to Grow a Chair, reviews and contents

Dr. Alex L. Shigo Says "Your book is excellent, great. Wow, it shows trees have a great capacity to adjust for survival. I must send it to my friend Prof. Claus Mattheck in Germany.

To receive your book promptly by mail send $16.00 and $2.00 shipping and handling.

International orders send $22.00 U.S. dollars

 Arborsmith Studios
 1607 West Cave Camp Rd.
 Williams, Oregon USA 97544

Purchasing this book is one great way to support a developing art form.

John Krubsack started growing a chair in 1908. When it obtained a good size, he cut it down, and sent it on a tour of the U.S.

Axel Erlandson (1884-1964) and the amazing Tree Circus, a roadside attraction. Erlandson grew over 70 Arborsculptures. Starting about 1919 in Turlock California. In 1947 he opened a tourist attraction featuring his trees.

Ahron Naveh  in Israel, started shaping trees in 1985.

Nirandr Boonnetr in Thailand is locally considered to be the father of living furniture.

Your feedback is important to me. Please send questions, comments and suggestions.

E-mail to: Arborsmith Studios

Every 4 months or so I'll send out a newsletter. To get on the list send an E-mail that says  Add to list

Newsletter archive

News from the Arborsmith:

Wow ! Check out P. J. Wilkin Great ! Web Site

Growing Home

This is the place where I'll keep you posted on the latest news, announcements, site changes and profound insights.

In collaboration with Mystic Water Creations Arborsculpture will be found in a display garden at the San Francisco Garden Show 2000.

New pages! New Portfolio 3

Australia and Amsterdam

Arborsculpture in China

(This site is always under construction.)

Articles about Arborsmith Studios The Oregonian June 25 1998 House Beautiful Landscape Architecture Tree Care Industry

Everything in the universe is within you, ask all from yourself. -Rumi

               If you like this site, perhaps you could link to us.

Thanks to:

Bob Cremins and Adam Sylvan for their drawings. Steve Peppercorn and Mark Stine for web design help. Mark has a great service for web editing, check him out !

Photo Credits
Covello & Covello Photography, Wilma Erlandson, Helga Motley , Debbie Reames Judith Kopp and Marsea Frace - Fandango Photos Where high quality prints and handmade cards are available.

Portions of this site perpetrated by:
aboomer@northcoast.com Alex Boomer