[Fwd: Do you know about thehungersite.com?]

Please, excuse the intrusion.  This isn't "spam", per se, but is, rather
just me passing on what seems to be a wonderful opportunity to do good
at no cost.

I can't improve on the note sent to me by Peter Wood so, please read on.

The site in question is www.thehungersite.com.
..........................snip................

Dear Friends,
	I wonder if you heard an NPR interview over the Thanksgiving Holiday
with
the founder of thehungersite.com, or whether you have heard of this
invention from other sources?  If you already know it, I wonder if you
share
my enthusiasm.  If it is new to you, I hope you will visit this spot
regularly!
	As I understand it, a programmer in Indiana wanted to help children
overseas with school supplies, and in researching his plan came face to
face
with the scope of world hunger.  So he devised this simple site and set
it
running last June.  It shows a world map that reflects deaths from
hunger
(one every 4 seconds) and there is a spot where you can click (once a
day)
to donate 3 cups of food, at no cost to you, since it is paid for by
sponsors who have their logos on the site.
	The money from the sponsors goes directly to the World Food Program of
the
United Nations, a well-established operation with 5,000 workers
worldwide,
where more than 90 cents of each dollar going directly to food.  Global
daily use of the site is listed in a table, and the hits are now up to a
third of a million donations per day and rising rapidly.  With roughly a
dozen sponsors each day (that number is growing rapidly too), the site
now
accounts for more than 50 metric tons of food per day!!
	I encourage you to go there.  Though it may seem too simple and high
tech,
the fact is that it literally gets something done with the push of a
button,
and simultaneously reminds you that there is power in numbers, and in
simple
solutions.  I find that not only do I visit every day and take an
interest
(there are links to numerous related sites if you are intrigued), but it
makes me feel as if I have actually accomplished something worthwhile.
I am
setting up my internet access so that this will be the first site I
visit,
for several seconds, every day.
	Moreover, unlike all the pushy letters I get in the mail seeking aid
and
support, in this situation I feel as though I am the one taking the
initiative rather than fending someone off.  To top it off, they even
have a
sane policy about "spamming," which I reprint below.  They rightly do
not
want counterproductive blasting to strangers all over the internet,
relying
instead on work of mouth, or computer, among friends.
That's what this is.  Give it a try, and if you like it, be sure to tell
your friends as well.  Indeed, feel free to copy or amend this note of
mine
if you wish.
	All the best, Peter W.

The Hunger Site Policy on Spamming
The Hunger Site respectfully requests that people do not send
unsolicited
messages promoting the Hunger Site to people they do not know, or post
inappropriately to newsgroups or in other places. We understand that
this is
being done with good intentions. However, anything that is regarded as
unsolicited spam is not helping our cause - and in fact is hurting it,
as it
is alienating the good people who might otherwise come to the Hunger
Site.
The Hunger Site itself does absolutely no e-mail marketing or newsgroup
posting at all for just this reason.
Thank you,
The Hunger Site
__________________________