Re: natures diversity (was: Re: Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review

>If homeopathy has a real effect in a group of people, than this must be
>measurable. If studies showing this have been made and their methodology is
>all right, O.K.

This reminds me: I've also seen planting by the moon disproven by science.

If things are  true only if science has not disproven them, what good
is observation? Can we only work with the world through the eyes of
peer reviewed studies?

Both planting by the moon and homeopathy could only be "proven" by
practitioners, because the nuances are understandably missed by the
university people. (for example: in 'real' homeopathy, there are only
remedies for individual conditions, not individual symptoms. Given
this, I would think that it would be completely impossible to set up
a scientific 'proof' of homeopathy. Not paying attention to this fact
(in fact, minunderstanding the very basis of homeopathy) and
administering homeopathic remedies as though one dose fits all is a
sure way to 'disprove' homeopathy (while what you've really proven is
that skipping the case taking state of a homepathic diagnosis is
likely to end in failure.)

The bottom line is: only the mainstream culture has the funds to
create formal testing scenarios. These funds are only likely to come
from places that have a motivation for proving or disproving what
they can through the study. As mentioned earlier: who wants to spend
money to 'prove' homeopathy? Why prove planting by the moon when, if
it is true, could call into question criticisms of traditional
agricultures.
-Allan