Re: Bind weed on allotment....

Hi Graham,
I've got a small amount of the evil weed on my place and I've managed to
get rid of some of it by diligently pulling every last little speck of it
the moment it tries to raise it's wretched little head above the ground. As
someone else said, it eventually expends any stored energy in the roots
trying to grow. But you gotta be on it--like go around pulling it every 2
or 3 days all season long. Geese seem to like it, so depending on what else
you've got growing, they may help.

If you *have* to use herbicides, an application technique I've heard of
(but never felt desperate enough to try) is to dab it with cotton swabs on
the cut ends of the plants. Supposedly, the plant will carry it to the
roots and die. Requires much less poison for greater effect.

Mikal