wood species and BTUs

I ran into a list of BTU's per cord for different species of trees in a
1978 book titled "547 Easy Ways to Save Energy in Your Home."  I thought
some of you may find if useful, so I'm copying it below.  It is not an
exhaustive list, but a good start.  It seems to be more for the (North?)
Eastern US.  If anyone has info on more species, especially Western US
species, I'd be interested.  It makes a good point; choose your wood for
BTU's.  BTU's keep you warm, not volume of wood.

Eric Storm
Sebastopol, CA

Species			BTU's per cord (in 000's)

Shagbark Hickory		24,600