Hawks etc.

Today, (Sat.) while driving to the Experimental Aircraft Fly-in, near Mt.
Olive, I had a Red Tail fly in front of the car and a 1/4 mil down the road
another in a tree.  Near the flying site was a recently mowed field of
about 10 acres and I counted approximately 100 Killdeer. When they fly in
flocks they remind me of plovers flying about the mud flats.
	One of our local dentists has an enclosed area outside the patient room
windows, (equipped with one-way glass.)  He is occasionally treated with
some wonderful bird behavior, including hawks and falcons.  About a week
ago he reported that a Coopers Hawk perched on the wall, eyeing the house
finches.  They immediately flew into a low compact bush.  The hawk dropped
to the ground and as he landed the finches flew to the ivy covered wall on
one end.  The hawk managed to cling to the ivy.  All this time the birds
froze.  Getting no results the hawk shook the vines a bit and one bird
moved.  She nabbed it.  The dentist said " don't tell me birds can't reason".
	Ernest and Lois Snavely, Loris, SC