Guilford Co. Barnacle Geese

Carolina Birders:

Returning home this evening (Sat., 12/2/00) from successfully seeing the
Mango near Concord, I swung by a residential subdivision pond near my home in
Greensboro, Guilford Co., NC, where I was surprised to find a pair of
Barnacle Geese (Branta leucopsis). They were associating with Canada Geese,
two domestic white geese, and a raft of Mallards, all of which were
unconstrained and swimming freely. I have no clue as to their origin. I did
not see them fly in or out of the area, nor did I see any obvious signs of
them having been in captivity.

If you want to check them out for yourself, here are the directions: From
I-40 in Greensboro, take the High Point Road exit south toward the city of
High Point. Pass through the intersection of Hilltop/Groometown Road and
continue south, watching on the left for a sign for the King's Mill
Sedgefield subdivision. Turn left into the subdivision on King's Mill Road.
Take the next left onto King's Pond Road. The pond is 200 or 300 yards down
the road on the right at the intersection of King's Pond with Old Scotney Ct.

It's an interesting birding day in the Carolinas when you can see a Mexican
hummingbird and a European goose all within a couple of hours.

Dennis Burnette
Greensboro, NC
burnetted@aol.com