Barnacle Goose status

The Barnacle Goose is not countable on your NC or SC lists. Both state
committees have rendered the species as Unacceptable Origin (or a
similar status in SC). There are at least 5 records of Barnacle Goose
for NC, nearly all a few decades ago, mostly in the Currituck co. area
with Canada Geese in winter. There has been a lot of buzz about these
being real strays, as they were in winter, with Canadas that migrated
down from the far North, etc. But, the NC Committee was conservative and
decided not to consider them as true strays. I think Dave Lee in his
recent Chat paper discusses this and brings up the idea that one or more
could represent valid strays, which I also support. There were one or
several articles in Birding over the years discussing the vagrancy of
Barnacle Geese. It is assumed that birds in the extreme NE of the
continent are strays, but as Barnacle Geese are kept in captivity and do
turn up across the continent, there is the belief that it is best to
assume escapes unless in the far NE (Newfoundland, etc.).

I have seen a Barnacle Goose in SC -- in winter with a large flock of
Canada Geese at Santee NWR, the perfect time and place one would expect
a vagrant to show up. But, the SC committee considered it a possible or
likely escape.

I would think the Banacle Geese in Guilford County were escapes from
somewhere. If you want to travel to see them, fine with me! But don't
submit them on your state list to ABA. Ditto the Black Swan at Lake
Mattamuskeet, etc.
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program