CBC procedures

I can understand the sentiment among many on carolinabirds that data from Christmas
Bird Counts should be made available to all in print form, as has been the custom in
the past. I agree that the proposed changes should not take place.

However, I am disturbed by the suggested remedies that have been proposed, many of
which would compromise the very data being collected. In particular, an under-report
of the number of participants would make it impossible to accurately calculate trends
in bird abundance data. The CBC is a vehicle for monitoring bird populations, and
provides important data to that end. The number of species, or the number of individuals
of a particular species observed on a particular count will depend on many factors, which
include the number of birds in the area surveyed and the number of people that
conduct the count. If the number of participants is under-reported, then it will not be
possible to compare between areas, or between years at the same area.

I don't pretend to know the best solution. Financial concerns are a real issue, and I'm
sure the admininstrators at Audubon are trying to balance conflicting demands.

The bottom line for me is that any change in procedure (by Audubon or by local counters)
should not compromise the data that have been collected for over 100 years!

My $0.02.

Joe Poston
Salisbury, NC