Re: CBC notes about the publication and rarities; also duck ID

> > Subject: Mid-Atlantic CBC highs
>
> > Purple Finch 4453 (NC, Chapel Hill 81)
>
> This one's an obvious typo. 1980 was the biggest winter finch year ever in
> Chapel Hill, but it wasn't that good!  The actual number recorded was 453.

I should have mentioned that you can view all the historical Christmas Bird
Count data at http://birdsource.cornell.edu/cbc/ -- it's a great resource!

Be warned, though, there seem to be a number of typos in the database and
Harry's witty editor's comments are lacking.  Here's another obvious typo
for Chapel Hill, count 96 (1995): Northern Goshawk, 1 -- this was a Cooper's
Hawk, apparently just typed in on the wrong line.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu